Dear Students, Family, Friends
The top news and concern on almost everyone's mind is the Coronavirus. While you should be concern, you should not be fearful.
Speaking as a Bible believing Christian, I must and do believe that God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7. I also believe that I am fearfully and wonderfully made...Psalm 139 vs 14.
Now having establish my mind set, let me offer some REAL nutritional suggestions for preventing or fighting the Coronavirus. The following information is not medical advice from me, but educational information compile from medical peer reviews, medical doctors, Nobel Prize winning doctors and others in the health profession that I read and follow.
I have received numerous emails from a wide range of companies such as Target, PNC Bank, Credit Union, Kroger, DSO, State of Michigan, etc. In every one of these emails they all offer the same 5 things to do to protect yourself. These steps are steps everyone should do all the time, not just when facing a virus threat. Unfortunately, none of the emails have provided any real information for protecting oneself from the virus. The following is information that can HELP YOU and hopefully calm any fears you may have.
What no one in the mainstream media is telling you is that your food may be depleting your immune system, and what foods you need to stop eating and which ones to increase, so if you do get exposed, your immune system has a fighting chance. Real protection is your own immune system. It is your first line of defense. 80% of your immune system is in your gut. So what you eat and don't eat directly impacts your immune system.
1. Avoid sugar, bleached flour and pasta products (or at least reduce your intake greatly). Stop eating fast foods, commercial baked goods and soda.
2. Increase your Vitamin C ( 1-3 grams 3-4 times daily.) There are several forms of Vitamin C, Powdered Sodium Ascorbate is the least acidic to the stomach. Vitamin D3+K2, ( 5,000 - 10,000 iu,) Vitamin A, ( 5000 - 10,000 iu,) Magnesium (400 mg). Zinc, Iodine, (you can buy supplements of these, but the cheap way is to eat some Brazil nuts, Sunflower, Sesame Seeds (you can look up what food are high in these nutrients). You only need 1-2 tablespoons in your smoothie or eat raw.
3 Increase your intake of raw fruits and vegetables especially dark leafy greens. Please buy organic. Organic is a lot cheaper than the Coronavirus.
4. Prepare teas or add to food these herbs: Garlic, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Ginger.
5. Replace your vegetable oils (stafflower, canola, Crisco, etc.) with Avocado, Grapeseed, Coconut, Sesame Oils. Olive Oil is questionable because there is so much bad olive oil being shipped to America. Quality, Pure Olive Oil is expensive, if you want to be safe.
5. Get a 7-8 hours sleep. People do not realize how important sleep is to the body's immune system. When you are sleeping, that's when the body is repairing. GO TO BED AND GO TO SLEEP!
6. Exercise. You don't have go to the gym or run 5 miles. Just put on some upbeat music and jog or march in place 15 minutes while moving your arms. You want to activate your Lymphatic System. This helps move toxins out of your body. If you can't do 15 minutes, then do 5 minutes 3-4 times each day.
7. Drink clean water. Forget the bottle water. Bottle water comes in plastic bottles and the chemicals that make up the plastic (BPA) is a cancer causing agent. Buy a $30 kitchen sink water filter from Walmart and some extra filters and drink the water from your tap. This suggestion is so vitally important. Take it seriously.
8. If you have a sweet tooth, switch to one of these: Raw Honey, Pure Maple Syrup, Black Strap Molasses, Coconut Sugar
9. Turn off the news, stop worrying, and be proactive.
10. Prayer, meditation and being grateful. Start a Grateful Journal. Daily list all the things you are grateful and thankful for. Example, being able to see a street light, or hear a bird or smell the aroma of food cooking is a blessing. Thank God!
Parting Thought: Whether it's a Pandemic or a Natural Disaster, you need to know basic health and nutrition survival information.
NOTICE; AVC Kitchens new Culinary Nutrition Classes Start May 5 at St. John's Episcopal Church. Student enrollment is limited. Call 313.656.4199 for more information. We hope the information posted have been of help to you.